If not used safely, meat slicers can inflict serious cut injuries. A number of workers have suffered
mild to serious cuts while operating meat slicers. During one year, a supermarket chain in the
province had 36 workers off work at various times as the result of cuts they received while
operating meat slicers.
Lack of training, poor work procedures, improper use of guards, and cleaning the blades without
protective gloves are a few of the contributing factors.
Safe work practices:
- Provide written safe work procedures and training for each worker who uses a meat slicer.
- Use guards and glides at all times.
- Secure meat properly in the slicer, and ensure that the slicer is in the proper setting before
- Never reach across the blade.
- Turn the slicer off after use, setting the calibration back to zero.
- Unplug the slicer before cleaning it.
- Use cut-resistant gloves on both hands while cleaning the blade.